Thursday 17 May 2012

Silver + Copper = Love For Ever

The love affair of silver and copper leads to a happy marriage:
Marriage of metals is a technique that can produce some really interesting and beautiful results (look at thisthis and this).

Two or more different types of metal are sawed and filed so that they fit perfectly one into (or, in an easier version, next to) the other, like the pieces of a puzzle. Then you solder them and finally sand them until no sign of solder remains on the surface of the piece and a beautiful contrast is achieved.

I made a bracelet with this technique about 5 years ago, while studying at my teacher's studio. Now, trying to refresh what I learned, I made a simple design based on my Triangle Geometric Earrings.

I am very happy with the result, but I spent considerable time sanding both sides of the earrings to get rid of every sign of solder. I hope that the amount of time will be reduced as I obtain more experience and control on this method... I'll have to make some more to find out!




Comments and questions are welcome : )

If you are a maker, what is your experience with this technique? 

I'd really like to know what you think and share ideas and information!




1 comment: